Appraisal, Coaching and Mentoring for Doctors
Dr Vicky Cleak MBChB MRCPsych MA PgDip ACC ICF Coach
I am a Consultant Psychiatrist. I have worked in the acute sector and have over 10 years experience as a Consultant. I have also been a Clinical Tutor and mentor for trainees. My background as an NHS Consultant Psychiatrist means that I understand the pressures placed on medical professionals within their professional and personal lives.
The aim of coaching is to support individuals through change, to promote a balanced life, accelerate personal development and unlock potential.
Appraisal should be a supportive, enjoyable and validating process allowing you to reflect on the full breadth of your practice and plan for your future practice needs. I undertake appraisals for several locum agencies.
What can coaching do?
- Maximise your potential at work
- Improve your work-life balance
- Successfully return you to work after career break/ maternity leave or ill health
- Address professional burnout
- Improve reflective practice
- Enhance relationships
- Overcome exam failure or loss of professional confidence
- Turn a career crisis into new opportunities
- Successfully transition into new roles
"Coaching will enable you to reach your full potential in whichever direction you want. It is a positive, life-affirming experience. Whether you want to rediscover your love of medicine or be free from it, I can help"
The NHS Leadership Academy provides executive coaches for senior leaders within the NHS. They define coaching as; "A structured intervention, usually with a set duration, using a non-directive approach to help individuals to solve their own problems and unlock their potential."